Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Here's hoping for less gamesmanship and more football

FC Porto tonight and my first visit proper to the Emirates. I'm rather excited but also a little worried that the Porto of Mourinho hasn't changed much, and that they'll be card-waving and diving all over the place in the cheaty way we've come to expect from Portuguese football teams. Hopefully not though.

Not sure how Arsene's going to line us up tonight. Last season's European 4-5-1 has only been used away at Man Yoo this season, with our standard 4-4-2 being put out for all three Euro ties so far, but Porto might see a reversion to the system which did so well for us in Europe last year. If we do I hope it's more of a 4-3-3 and that we see something like this.

Whilst Djourou is apparently a doubt I expect him to play, whilst there's no reason in risking Freddie, who I thought had a good game against Sheffield United, when we have more attacking options. I think Cesc could find himself handed a bit of a breather tonight, having started every game so far this season, and I hope la Bestia is the man chosen to replace him. With Rosicky in the team, and allowed a more central berth in this formation, we still have the craft in centre mid, but Baptista will add the muscle and I'm really quite eager to see him make more of those bursting runs that he showed us a glimpse of when he came on agaisnt Man Yoo (and nearly scored in the process). Gilberto, as always, provides the balance.

Quite frankly that front three looks terrifying. The pace, skill and presence of RvP TH14 and YTW tearing down upon you would be enough to make any back line lose control of their bowels, and whilst I don't expect Wenger to employ this front line tonight, I look forward to the day when he does, because it looks so good it's frightening. I don't think Adebayor can operate in a front three and following his reversion to type on Saturday he would miss out in my line up.

All of this is irrelevant though, seeing as Wenger will not pick this XI. Be nice if he did though.

Shorter one than I'd like today because I was late in, bloody London transport.

2-0 tonight. Come on you Reds.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home