Monday, July 31, 2006

Should he stay or should he go?

Well, nothing remotely interesting happens in the world of Arsenal except for more Ashley Cole rumblings and then we have a weekend with Reyes first claiming, and then denying, that he's looking for a move back to Spain with Real Madrid.

What are we to make of this whole debacle?

The first we heard were remarks allegedly accredited to Reyes which were presented in Marca. now I don't know about you but I tend to treat anything I hear in Marca with a substantial pinch of bullshit. Then the UK Sunday papers pick it up. The quotes attributed to Reyes are:


"I have always said that I want to return to Spain. I have nothing against Arsenal, completely the opposite. But they know that I have not adapted to life in England. I have not got used to the language or the weather. If Real Madrid want me then that is marvellous. I have always said what a huge club it is and it would be an honour to play for them. Let’s see what happens."

Which is actually very plausible. Whilst Jose tries his heart out on the pitch it's a poorly kept secret that he has never settled properly. After over two years his English is still basic at best, he surrounds himself with his family and has never really tried to integrate himself with the country. The People proposes a possible swap deal with Baptista or Robinho coming the other way. I can't see Real parting with Robinho and I don't believe that Arsene still wants Baptista.

However...

Reyes issued a less than firm rebuttal on Arsenal.com the same day. His wording (I say his wording but the actual words are undoubtedly the work of the Arsenal FC communications department) is less than definitive, and whilst I don't think he's desperate for a move, if Real Madrid came knocking I think that hie would be very interested in what they have to say. And to be honest, I don't blame him.

He is not interested because he thinks Real are a bigger club, or because they are willing to pay him more money, or because he's had a falling out with the club. He's interested because he's spent two and a half years here and he's maybe decided that England's just not for him. I don't begrudge him that, and I think he's always given a committed performance everytime he's pulled on the shirt.

So, if he wants to go and we can recoup what we spent on him (and a little more), why wouldn't we do it? No one wants an unhappy player, and I don't think he'll ever reach his potential playing in England, the style just doesn't suit him.

I think Arsene is at least considering it, and considering all the surprising chatter linking us with attacking players, may already have been planning for this contingency.

In other news the whole media is coming down with a strong case of deja vu as we are informed by the Sun that Arsenal would settle for £25m for Ashley Cole from the chavs.

Friendly this afternoon against Schwardorf, probably mostly the kids again. We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home